Thursday, April 17, 2014

Social Anxiety

I was always a social person – all through High School, College, throughout my career, which included living in two other countries.  I always looked forward to spending time with other people whether it be a one-on-one get together or a large social gathering such as a party or weekend outing.  That’s why it seems so strange to have to come to grips with my new situation.  I hate to say I have “social anxiety” because in my heart I still look forward to going out and being with other people.  However, I have this constant fear of what the situation is going to be like.  Will there be lots of people and therefore possibly too much noise?  Will there be music playing (even if just in the background)?  Will it be hard to concentrate with too many things going on at the same time?  Will there be lots of bright lights?  Will there be lots of windows allowing in sunlight?  Will anyone be wearing perfume? Will the people I’m with understand if I need to leave early or put on sunglasses or do something else that is out of the ordinary?  When I’m at home I can control my environment.  When I’m out in the elements it’s out of my control and I feel defenseless to my migraines.  However, I refuse to cower to my migraines so I will push forward & continue to try and venture out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment