Monday, February 24, 2014

To Botox or Not to Botox

About a year after I was diagnosed with migraines, my husband and I decided we wanted to try and treat my migraines as naturally as possible.  I started seeing one of the only Naturopaths in my city and followed every recommendation she suggested – from taking Vitamin D (apparently I’m deficient)to yeast pills to restore my gut to completely abstaining from corn and dairy (a special food allergy test showed I was allergic).  Even once I started at the Headache Clinic we tried to treat it as naturally as possible as the Doctors were aware I was anti-medicines.  I started taking high doses of magnesium and tried almost every supplement that’s ever been known to help migraines.  Finally, the one thing that took away my migraines completely (although temporarily) was being pregnant!  About 5 months into my pregnancy, my migraines disappeared.  It was a magical time!  Unfortunately, they came back 3 days after my son was born.   After that, I was willing to try any medicine they’d give me just to get rid of the pain.  Several pills and attempts later, I’m still in chronic migraine mode.   So now my Doctors have suggested Botox.  If someone had asked me two years ago about Botox, I would have said NO WAY.  I don’t like the idea of a bunch of chemicals being pushed into my body without long term studies being done about the effects.  However, I’m in pain every day and some days it’s unbearable.  I want to be a good wife, I want to be a good Mom, I want to be a good ME!  I figured it’s worth a shot – 31 shots to be exact!

No comments:

Post a Comment