Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Getting Reacquainted with Pain

On day 12 after my first Botox treatment I went virtually pain free for three glorious days.  It wasn’t until the third day that I truly realized – “Wow, I feel great!”  I just went about my days and was happy with everything I could do without having to rest, medicate, shut the blinds, etc.  Then, on day 15 I went back to what had become my normal state of being.  However, it seemed to hit me like a ton of bricks – as if I’d forgotten how to live with chronic pain.  It was shocking to me how quickly I seemed to forget how to handle even just a moderate amount of pain.  I remember that morning I woke up and the sunlight hit my face as soon as I entered the living room.  I scrambled to shut the curtains and get to the coffee maker.  All day I just kept waiting to feel better.  I never got super sick, but had a moderate steady level of pain all day.  That’s how I have lived each day for the past 2 ½ years with the exception of a few glorious months while pregnant.  Even though I had been in that state many times before, I just couldn’t understand it.  I have had good and bad days since having the Botox, but somehow no matter how many good days/moments I have, that pain when it returns to its normal levels is shocking to my system.

No comments:

Post a Comment